The Senior Benefits/Payroll Specialist is responsible for researching, analyzing, evaluating, administering, and delivering the company benefit plans and programs. This role will assist and provide back-up to support with accurate & timely processing of the company’s bi-weekly payroll for 600 employees. Ensuring federal, state, and local regulations and legislative compliance requirements are met and followed is essential in this position.
- Administers all company benefit programs, including but not limited to all 401k plans, Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance, STD, LTD, Cobra, FSA, Employee Assistance, Wellness, Transit, and Awards/Visa gift card program, etc.
- Designs, develops, and administers yearly annual enrollment process, including company communications, employee meetings, managing annual enrollment process in HRIS system, etc.
- Administers Company 401(k) and non-qualified retirement savings plan, including 5500 audit, non-discrimination testing, 401k file feeds from payroll, annual tax deferred annuity match etc. Serves on Company Trustee committee attending quarterly meetings.
- Manage leave programs, including FMLA, Personal leaves, state-specific Paid Family Leave, STD and LTD, in accordance with laws and regulations. Track leave dates and paperwork using HRIS system and leave tracking software. Main point of contact with employees and managers regarding leaves.
- Designs, develops, and delivers employee benefits plan communication documents.
- Designs, develops and delivers employee wellness plans and benefit promotion programs.
- Provides ongoing information to employees about their welfare and benefit plans.
- Recommends benefits programs to management by studying employee requirements/trends/ developments in the benefits environment.
- Supports management's decision making by analyzing benefit options and predicting future costs.
- Identifies benefit options by studying programs; obtaining advice from consultants.
- Complies with federal, state, and local legal requirements by studying existing and new legislation; obtaining qualified opinions; enforcing adherence to requirements; advising management on needed actions.
- Informs management of benefit usage by preparing and distributing benefit reports.
- Manages Benefits Module of HRIS System, including maintenance and updating of employee benefit records, benefit plans/rates, benefit file feeds, annual enrollment, PPACA, 1095C’s etc
- Manages wage garnishment process, including responding to inquiries and entering garnishments in HRIS system
- Runs benefit related reports from HRIS system needed to support all benefit/401k plans
- Assists and supports payroll department by serving as back up to processing payroll, entering employee 401k deferral/loan changes, STD/LTD payments, wage garnishments, auditing benefit deductions each payroll, monitoring 401k limits, etc.
- Responsible for timely review, reconciliation and payment of benefit and HR invoices on a monthly basis
- Resolves employee questions and problems by interpreting benefit policies and procedures.
- Expedites delivery of benefits by establishing and maintaining working relationships with benefit providers.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; participating in professional societies.
- Achieves financial objectives by partnering with HR leadership in preparing the benefits budgets; scheduling expenditures; analyzing variances; initiating corrective actions.
- Assists with represented employee multi-employer benefit plan billing and audits as necessary.
- 5+ years of experience in the field or a related area.
- A wide degree of creativity and latitude is expected.
- Relies on experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals
- High level of organizational skills.
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university (or a HS Diploma/GED with equivalent experience).
- In depth experience working with HRIS System (Ceridian Dayforce preferred)
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, Word, and PowerPoint), including VLOOKUP function
- MUST have unrestricted authorization to work in US.
- MUST be willing to comply with pre-employment screening, including but not limited to drug testing, reference verification, and background check.
- MUST be willing to travel during annual enrollment.
- MUST be willing to work in the Chicago Corporate Office.
- Responsive leader able to build relationships, demonstrate initiative, and works well in team environment.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills; ability to communicate well with all levels of organization.
- Maintain high integrity with access to sensitive company data.
- Adept at successfully implementing business initiatives.
- Willingness to take on new challenges, responsibilities and assignments.
- Ability to work under pressure and manage competing priorities while staying focused and meeting deadlines without sacrificing accuracy.